Tuesday, February 10, 2015

How To Stop Taking Things Personally in Business

Every so often you meet that person that tells you the truth as they see it. You may be that person to so many other people. You say what needs to be said, even when its uncomfortable.

 WELL... If that's you, one day your turn comes. Real people that have your back call you on your stuff. I've been called out y'all....I realize that I have got to stop taking things personally in my business.

Don't think you have this problem too?

Let me ask you this...

Have you ever taken it personal when:

  • a prospect hangs up on you?
  • friends & family constantly ask you how many new clients you have gotten?
  • an appointment canceled?
  • a client rejected a proposal?
  • they never called you back?
  • coworkers overlook your potential?
  • you get passed up for a promotion?
  • colleague gossips about you behind your back?
  • a potential recruit pass on your opportunity?

All of these things happen every day. Just because they happen to you, that doesn't mean it only happens to you. It happens to us all. It's just a part of the game.

If you take things to the heart, know that this is your opportunity for growth.

If you still remember it, you may be a little bitter.

Just because people don't respect you, look up and admire you right now doesn't mean it's the end of the world. Them not knowing your value---that's their problem.

Dealing with Customers

Know that your worth doesn't lie in your customer's hand. Because there are plenty more where they came from. 7 billion other people are waiting. 

When I get a nasty phone call, I celebrate! Why, because history shows that I tend to have a great session on the phones that day. So I embrace it as part of the process. I chose that perspective as my mindset. You must determine how to look at everything. Life will always test how serious you are. Start passing the test.

I have had customers walk by me in real life knowing that they owe me money. Sometimes you have to let it go. You know what it's like to owe money to someone and not have it. I believe a little grace is required.

It used to be that every late payment and every missed payment was a direct attempt of my customers trying to shut me down. After all, they knew I had bills to pay. 

That was in the past. Now I look at it like it's not on my customers to make my business work it's on me. I need to have more than enough customers to allow for human behavior. That's when you get stability. Taking responsibility is a skill that has to be learned through practice.

Dealing with Coworkers or Colleagues

A lot of people color in the lines. Then get mad at you when you created your own additional lines to the paper. Mostly, they are just mad that they didn't think of it first. Don't take this personal. 

Everyone will not always show you love. Their issue is really with themselves. If you are not bothering them, then they shouldn't be bothered by you. But greatness ruffles feathers.

People who work with you would like to think of themselves at the same level or higher than you. The truth is they are not higher than you. They begin to see your advancement and growth and either criticize or diminish your accomplishments.

Don't let them determine how high you fly. Taking it personal is like adding baggage to an eagle. 
Let it go.

----

I have learned my lesson. Let people be who they are. And do you. They way you want to.  Don't worry about who's talking about you. Let your haters hold your press conference. Because they spread the word about you whether you know it or not. Keep your feelings out of it and everything will work out.

What do you take personal?


No comments:

Post a Comment